It was a wild Saturday across College Football. We saw the defeat of the second best team in the country among other things. Below are my ten best moments from this weekend.
Number 10- Iowa is doing Iowa things
- Iowa beat their in-state rival Iowa State in overtime on Saturday. The Hawkeyes came back late in the fourth quarter to tie the game and then had a big play in overtime to win the game. The Hawkeyes have had a winning season every time they have beaten Iowa State under head coach Kirk Ferentz. By winning Saturday’s game, the Hawkeyes are my darkhorse pick in the Big Ten West
Number 9- Penn State might win the Big Ten
- Penn State beat up on their in state rival Pittsburgh at home on Saturday. The two schools hate each other and played for the first time last season after a long halt in the rivalry. The only reason why PSU did not make the Playoffs last year was because they lost to Pitt. The Nittany Lions avenged their loss from a season ago and because of a game that I will talk about later, they might have the inside track to win the Big Ten and go to the Playoffs.
Number 8- USC is back
- Sam Darnold and USC conquered their biggest hurdle of the season thus far by blowing out Stanford on Saturday night. Stanford has played the role of spoiler many times for the USC Trojans and it looked like they were going to do so again on Saturday. Darnold played really great late in the game and was able to secure the win for the Trojans
Number 7- Lamar Jackson happens to be good at football
- Lamar Jackson picked up right where he left off last season. The Heisman trophy winner has been blowing out opponents this season and has been putting up video game like numbers. The biggest hurdle for Jackson and Louisville is carry this momentum into conference play and possibly make the Playoffs.
Number 6- Georgia is returning to prominence
- Georgia beat Notre Dame on Saturday night in South Bend. The win was the biggest under head coach Kirby Smart and the Bulldogs were celebrating like the won the SEC. Georgia has under performed in the last few seasons, maybe they can use the momentum from beating Notre Dame into a weak SEC East and win the division.
Number 5- Notre Dame is really bad at football
- Gone are the days of the Fighting Irish of Notre Dame being the talk of college football. The Fighting Irish had a really bad season last season and it has carried forward into this season. There were a lot more Georgia fans than Notre Dame fans at the game on Saturday night. The Fighting Irish played really bad on Saturday and head coach Brian Kelly is for sure on the hot seat in South Bend.
Number 4- Good teams love beating really bad teams
- Alabama, LSU, and Washington beat up on bad teams to take a breather. There were only a few big games this weekend as other teams used this week to get an easy win and prepare for conference play. LSU and Alabama are setting up to play each other in November and the winner will end up in the playoffs. The Apple Bowl between Washington and Washington State might just turn into a Round of 16 for the two teams during Thanksgiving weekend.
Number 3- What was LA Tech thinking
- I had to re-watch this play ten times before I figured out what was happening. This play cannot be repeated even if we try it a hundred times. I still do not understand how not a single player on either team was able to take possession of the ball or throw it out of bounds before it went the other way.
Number 2- JT Barrett is not a good quarterback
- The biggest game of the weekend took place in Columbus, Ohio between Ohio State and Oklahoma. Ohio State went to Oklahoma and beat up on the Sooners last season and ended up in the playoffs because of it. The Buckeyes could not stop Oklahoma and could not get anything going offensively. Quarterback JT Barrett, who has been there for at least ten years did not make many smart decisions during the game. JT Barrett is going to have play lights out and win the remaining games on the schedule in order for the Buckeyes to make the Playoffs.
Number 1- I love Baker Mayfield
- As you can see from the featured image, Baker Mayfield and the rest of the Oklahoma team planted their flag on Ohio State. Mayfield has so much swagger and backs it up with his play on the field. Mayfield was lights out on Saturday night and has the Sooners as the number two team in the country. If Mayfield can play like this the rest of the season, then the sky is the limit for the Sooners.